Monday, June 9, 2014

Chipotle Chopped Salad



A few weeks ago my boss treated our entire staff to a Chipotle lunch. It was the whole shebang...chicken, steak, black beans, pinto beans, guacamole and chips, several different salsas...make a taco or a salad bowl...your choice. It was delicious...but my favorite part was the Roasted Chile-Corn salsa...a combination of corn, jalapenos, cilantro and lime juice. So simple and SO GOOD.

Well when my BFF was planning her son's graduation party with a taco bar theme I offered to bring a salad. She was delighted. I knew right away that it needed to contain something similar to this corn salsa. So I got online and headed to Pinterest...always a go-to for yummy recipes. After reading several recipes I came up with what I'm calling Chipotle Chopped Salad. It may already be out there somewhere...but I'm calling it that anyway!

I started by making the corn salsa...a can of corn with jalapenos, black beans, red onion, bell peppers, cilantro (originally I forgot...!), lime juice, cumin and salt. I let it marinate a while so all the flavors could combine. Not only was it tasty...it was also pretty.

At the party just before the guests arrived I piled some chopped romaine in a big salad bowl, spooned lots of lime-y corn salsa over the top, doused it with jalapeno ranch dressing (store-bought...I cheated), tossed all that goodness together and voila...Chipotle Chopped Salad.

I gotta admit...it was yum-my. And would also be good as a side with grilled chicken or steak. I may just have to do that for tonight's dinner!

Chipotle Chopped Salad

1 can corn with jalapenos - drained
I can black beans - drained and rinsed
1/2 small red onion - minced
1-2 bell peppers (I used red, orange and yellow) - chopped
chopped cilantro to taste
juice of 1-2 limes
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste
2 heads romaine - chopped
Jalapeno Ranch Dressing (I used Marie's)
Tortilla strips - optional

Combine first 8 ingredients to make the corn salsa, mix well and refrigerate for an hour or so to let flavors combine. (It will make enough for a few salads...or as an addition to tacos...or even to munch on by itself!)

In the meantime, prepare the romaine - wash, spin, chop. Place in large salad bowl.

Spoon corn salsa over lettuce, as much or as little as you want. Drizzle with the dressing, toss well, sprinkle with crispy tortilla strips and enjoy!


No comments: