Friday, April 18, 2014

The right thing is rarely the easy thing...



We had to say goodbye last week to our sweet boy, Reggie. He was 15. He lived a good, long life. But the time came when his legs began giving out on him and his breathing became more and more labored.

And we knew...it was time.

We were blessed in that the vet came to our home making the transition as comfortable and stress free as something like that can be. Having had to do "the right thing" for two pets now...one in a sterile and uncaring vets office, and one at home...at home is the only way to go.

I mean, in the end, it is what it is; one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do. Ever. It sucks. But as I watched Reggie limp around the backyard the night before, struggling to relieve himself, hesitating going up the garage steps, and then needing our help to get him in the house, get him out of the house, get him up, lay him down...he was miserable. And I realized as I watched him tough it out, struggling with every single thing he had to do, that it was my responsibility to do "the right thing". I couldn't put it off any longer.

Our pets rely on us for everything...food, water, a safe place to sleep, warmth, shade, love, comfort, kind words...and yes, in the end, mercy.

Rest in Peace, Reggie. 
You were my good boy...
I love you and will miss you always.


2 comments:

Denise said...

xoxo Michelle.
hardest thing ever - I know.
thinking of you.

Unknown said...

I am sorry for your loss- we lost our Katha in late February. We had her for 10 years and we were fortunate that she died within a week of becoming ill. She died in my car-I asked her if she wanted to go with me to pick my daughter up from school and she died at some point during our trip. I feel so lucky that we didn't have to put her to sleep- we had been discussing it but she took that worry away from us. My prayers are with you- it is so hard to lose a pet.