Monday, December 23, 2013

just about ready...



I went out and did a little bit more shopping yesterday...evened things up for the boys and now their piles are the same. Do you do that? Make sure each kid has the same amount of gifts while at the same time spending the same on them all? I do. Not everyone does, apparently. My mom always kept it "fair"...so, I do, too.

Today will entail grocery shopping, vacuuming, mopping and gift wrapping. I made a dent in the wrapping last night while watching The Holiday (for the 20th time, probably)...but there's more to wrap. So I need to finish that up today.

I have to say...I haven't dealt with crowds or lines much at all this season. I was at Walmart yesterday (against my better judgment) and there was NO line at all. I was surprised and pleased...not just because I didn't have to wait forever...but also because maybe that means that Walmart isn't getting ALL the business ALL the time. We need to spread the wealth.

Our poor little tree is already dry as a bone. And doesn't have not one ornament on it. Lights? Yes. And a glittery star on top. But not one.single.ornament. And you know what? I'm OK with that.

My wish list was small this year...and it said the same as last year...perfume and slippers and a few clothing items. I added a few things on for some variety (to appease my husband)...but nothing big. Usually I want something nice for the kitchen, or for my camera, or for a creative endeavor...something.

But this year? Nothing. I guess working full-time has taken over. I'm not thinking about self-reliance or preparing for a homestead. I'm not making things or photographing things. And while it's a little bit sad, and maybe somewhat frustrating, I realize that it's a season of life. My focus is elsewhere these days and my time is filled with other things.

Even still...Christmas is almost here. The lights are twinkling, the presents are waiting and soon we'll be spending time with our amazing families. Life is good.  And we are most definitely blessed.

If I don't make it back here before Christmas...Merry Christmas to you and yours. xoxo


No comments: