Tuesday, August 7, 2012

endings and beginnings

Don't you just love Queen Anne's lace? I do.

For someone who isn't a big fan of summer I am feeling unusually sad that it is soon coming to an end. The weather will continue to be hot well into October but the vacation ends in just about a week. And I am not ready.

I've mentioned before that planting a garden helps me get through the summer with a more positive attitude. Living in an area that turns brown, brown and more brown, being able to go out to my backyard and see lush, green plants bursting with life and food makes the stifling heat more bearable. Not enjoyable...but tolerable. And knowing that tomatoes won't ripen without heat...well, it's become a fair trade-off.

But it won't be the tomatoes that I miss most when summer comes to a close, or the garden, and definitely not the heat. It will be my boys. I love having them around and I will miss them when they go back to school next week. I'm finding it hard to believe and accept the fact that they will both be in high school. And...the fact that Seth will be a senior is really killing me. Really. I'm not ready. I see lots of crying in my future.

But as the saying goes, all good things must come to an end.

I guess the good thing about endings (if I'm trying to be positive here...) is that endings make way for beginnings.

Beginnings like a new school year with lots of fun things in store.

While I may not be happy that Seth is going to be a senior...he is ecstatic. It's not that I am not happy. It's more like, "Hey wait a minute...weren't you just born 4 days ago?" And while I may not be ready for my "baby" to be a freshmen...he is thrilled to finally be at the high school. So I will be thrilled for him.

Beginnings like new jobs. Chris and I received new jobs on the same day last week. He had been interviewing and talking to a local company about a position for about a week and made the decision to accept the job last Thursday.

On that same morning I was called in to an interview as a Health Clerk (think school nurse :) at an elementary school and was offered the job that same day. It's part-time and a foot in the door. I accepted it.

Chris started his new job last Friday and is looking forward to learning new skills.
I start my new job next week and am looking forward to having something permanent.

In one day our lives made a complete change.
It was time.
We are excited and hopeful.
It feels good.


2 comments:

Nancy Wyant said...

Your blog today speaks to me about and reminds me of what Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 says. We could probably add a few specifics of our own to these cherished words, but as with all things divine, what was written seems complete! Love you!

Denise said...

wow - this is all so amazing. Answer to prayer right? I know that feeling of everything is going to change - it is a bit scary but within no time it will be the new normal.