Saturday, April 28, 2012

I never knew bees could glow.


Last weekend Chris noticed there were tons of bees in our Japanese maple. So...I ran and got my camera, of course!

I must have taken 40 pictures. And of those I kept a handful. This is one of my favorites...I love how she's glowing. (Or is it a "he"? I dunno.)

Someday I would love to have bees. Not now as we are still living within city limits and I'm not sure what the protocol is on keeping bees in town. Not to mention, Chris isn't in agreement on the whole beekeeping thing.

So until we are in a position to actually have a hive of our own I will be content to read about beekeeping, learning all that I can so when the time does come...I'm ready.

In the meantime, in an effort to bring more bees into our yard to pollinate our garden we planted six lavender plants. And I have to say...mission accomplished! There have been more bees in our yard ever since! Not to mention their attraction to our lemon blossoms...can you blame them?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lemon blossoms.... {sigh.....} Oh, yes, I was going to comment on the bee... most likely a female. The drones (boys) don't do much work except chase queens. If they succeed, they die after their moment of pleasure.

Could the "glow" be light penetrating through her abdomen? Or is that just a natural glow emanating from within? Very curious!