Thursday, March 15, 2012

sick bay.


I've been spending a LOT of time at the kitchen sink this week. Washing hands. Washing dishes. Washing hands. Preparing meals. Washing hands. Dosing medicine. Getting glasses of water and juice and powerade. And coffee (for me). And washing hands. (I don't want to get sick!) But really...I spend a lot of time at the kitchen sink every day. Don't we all?

I've been home with Ian this whole week...he's still sick...it is a doozy. His temperature got up to 102.2 yesterday afternoon so I called the dr. back as she advised. Getting worse instead of better is not an option. She went ahead and called in an antibiotic.

When I took Ian to the dr. the other day he told me he is "anti medicine". Yeah. Me too. But sometimes...we have to be grateful for it, even though we know that we have to take the bad with the good sometimes. (Like the "abdominal pain" he experienced, likely from the super dose of antibiotics.) He didn't want to take his cough medicine with codeine last night...I didn't really want him to take it either. He noted that he had already taken Ibuprofen and two strong antibiotic pills. He didn't want more... But it did help him get some sleep the night before...so...

I don't blame him. When I was dealing with asthma last year around this time I didn't like taking the inhalers. Did I need it? Yes. I needed it. It helped. And I was grateful for it. But I didn't like it. I didn't like tasting the chemicals every time I coughed.

So anyway...we've been at home all week. Ian has been stuck on the couch...all week. Yesterday I dragged him to the Starbuck's drive-thru...latte for me, strawberries and cream for him. Then we took a drive in the rain down one of our favorite country roads snapping random photos (none of which turned out...but that's ok, it's always a gamble when you just point and shoot as you're driving). It was a good break from looking at the same four walls.

Today marks Day 4 calling in sick to work. I hate that. But I would hate even more not being able to be with him. So I'm grateful for understanding coworkers.

He is still asleep. I'm going to give credit to the humidifier. I love that thing. I think it's the miracle cure for so many things. I can't believe I forgot to run it for him until last night. So unlike me! I run that thing every time one of the boys is sick. Always have since they were tiny guys. How did I forget?

Either way...I ran it last night. And it seems he's sleeping better.

So today is another home day in the sick bay. The timing is good with the rain and all. Although I do need to run out and get some milk...and a few other small items. And I may go to the post office...we'll see how crowded it is. (I have a bit of an aversion to the post office.)

xo

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

reminds me of that week i had to stay home with K, running such a fever and finally after a week the dr broke down and gave her the antibiotic. it's awful when they are sick. like you i was thankful that my co-workers understood and let me be home with her...what a blessing that is.

i love your sink. i always love your photos from the kitchen, so lovely.

hope ian is well soon, and hope all your handwashing keeps the germs at bay.

Brittany said...

I hope he gets to feeling better soon. Good to know he has someone caring like you around to help him get better.

Unknown said...

So funny that you brought up washing your hands at the kitchen sink. I was just thinking yesterday, "Man I sure wash my hands a lot!" ... And yes, I was at my kitchen sink.
Hope the sick bay closes shop soon. I am sure you are one appreciated mom in those parts.
Xoxo
Kym