Friday, February 3, 2012

this may sound crazy but...


I need winter.

I need cold and darkness.

I need grey skies and rain for days on end.

Cold and rain rejuvenate me. When it's cold and rainy I feel energized and creative. When it's not I feel sluggish...tired...down.

I know...it must sound so strange to some. But it's true. And when I don't get winter, and lots of it, I become down. Like some need sunshine...I need a break from it. All of this sunshine is making me...unsettled. Irritated. I look forward to winter...I wish I could live in winter all year long.

I know...it sounds weird. But don't be too quick to call me crazy. I'm sure you've heard of SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder..yes? Well, come to find out there's also Reverse SAD. It's real. And I'm relieved to know I'm not alone.

Don't get me wrong...I enjoy the warmth of the sunshine on my skin. I just enjoy it more when the air that accompanies it is cool and crisp. In the summer the "warmth" of the sun is stifling, oppressive, depressing, suffocating...and I can't wait to get out of it.

It's February and the temps haven't gone below 60 it seems. People are talking about Spring already...and are upset that Pux-a-whatever Phil saw his shadow. (Or didn't? How does that go? Dangit..) Thank goodness he did (or didn't?)! How can we have Spring when we haven't even had WINTER yet? Come ON, people. It's all about balance. Jeez...

See? Now I'm all worked up. :)

I will admit...there is one thing that has given me hope during the summer months...and that is the garden. The promise of fresh, delicious, homegrown vegetables does ease the pain a bit. Lush foliage and beautiful fruits and vegetables helps...it does. I still don't like the heat. But I like what it does for the garden...so I try to focus on that. And not on the fact that I am melting away.

Anyway...that's where I'm at. I know...I know.

Wanna read more about it? I found this funny (and very accurate) article about RSADs...it made me laugh and nod and say "Yes! Exactly!" out loud. Read it...you might laugh, too, if you're part of the 1% (get it?). If not...you might cry. Sorry...but not really. (See? The mere thought of summer makes me cranky.)

5 comments:

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

ME TOO! I LOATHE summer and can't wait for it to be over. I feel like I am gritting my teeth to get through it. I hate the heat.

I prefer the fall, which is my favourite and then winter, because it is dark. Most people hate coming and going in the dark, but I like it. It feels cozy.

We are weirdos, you and I. People make me feel like such a grinch for hating summer. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

Jennifer said...

I get it.

Even though I despise cold and winter usually leaves me feeling depressed, I feel even more out of sync, because the seasons aren't properly rotating.

We are spring one day, winter the next.

Anonymous said...

you and I should switch places. although today is bright blue sky and sunny - 52.

i can't relate but I hope you get some winter weather.

Jennifer Williams said...

Oh, my goodness. I've never met anyone else that feels the way you and I do! It's so nice to know I am not alone. My family thinks I am crazy, but I love dark, cold, and rainy days. I hate summer, especially here in miserably hot and humid Dallas. My spirits really lift when I wake up and realize it's going to be cold and rainy. Unfortunately, we are on pace for this "winter" to be the warmest one on record. Ugh. Thanks for your post!

Nancy said...

we had rain/snow/grey today. i loved it because it kept me inside and i was so productive! i need days like that sometimes. i like them more when i can stay home vs. when i have to go to work/get out.