Tuesday, January 17, 2012

the winter garden.

chard...collards...broccoli
I realize that calling 10 little plants in my backyard a "winter garden" might be a bit of a stretch. But for me...it's kind of a big deal. This is the first time we've ever planted winter vegetables. And I'm pleased to say they're not doing too bad.

They're a bit small, I think. I would think with all this warmth and sunshine they'd be a bit farther along. But...we did plant them late. And there hasn't been any rain. So maybe this is to be expected.

I'm not worried about it. Any time I do something like this for the first time I consider it a learning experience. So if things don't work out ideally I don't get discouraged. I just take note, see what happens, and do it differently the next time.

The good news is that we have actual broccoli florets growing! Chris came in the other morning and told me...so you know I had to run out with my camera!


See it? It makes me happy. I can't wait to eat it!

The other thing we have growing right now is the Meyer Lemon and it's producing beautiful lemons. I picked some the other day and they smelled so good. That has got to be one of my favorite scents ever...

So it's supposed to rain this week...maybe tomorrow. Or the next day. I'm ready. And so is the garden.

A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness;
it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust.
- Gertrude Jekyll

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Though we haven't really had winter yet because it's been strangely mild in Toronto, I envy your winter garden.

Maybe I need to plant some herbs in pots to tide me over until spring.

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I think your winder garden is just lovely. Like you.

Anonymous said...

my winter garden didn't quite do much. and, now today it is covered in snow. i don't think i will bother next year. the fact that you have a meyer lemon tree is awesome - those suckers are spendy!