Thursday, January 6, 2011

bowls.

I got these bowls at the thrift store last week...on the first day of the new year. They're handmade...and unmarked...probably made by someone taking a pottery class, or something. I like them...I like the color, the texture, the size...they're just right for each of the boys to have one on their nightstand to corral little bits and bobs...keys and pocket knives and gum and nuts and bolts and...you know...boy stuff.

Speaking of pottery...I'm planning on taking a class beginning this month at the local community college. Would you believe I need it for my degree? Yeah...I do! I love it! I've wanted to take pottery for a while now. And painting. And drawing. And..any kind of art I can get my hands on.

I remember when I was attending the community college 20 years ago. I decided to major in Psychology...I was going to be a counselor...and live in a little old bungalow with lots of cats and a wild garden. I was taking all of the necessary psych classes in preparation. But every day I'd see the art students toting their portfolios and their huge sketch pads. I'd see them in the cafeteria...sketching their lunch...or their girlfriend. And I longed to be one of them...I wanted to be an art student.

For as long as I can remember I wanted to be an artist. I'm thinking I was around 4 when I decided that I wanted to be an artist when I grew up. An artist and a mommy. I loved to draw...and color...and paste. In Mrs. Dunbar's class in 2nd grade, if you got all your work done on time or if you scored the highest on your times tables test...you got to pick your free time activity first. And since I often scored well on my tests, I got to pick my free time activity. And every time...without fail...I chose art.

I'm not sure what happened along the way...when I lost that dream of being an artist. I don't know...

What I DO know is that I am finding myself with an opportunity, 20 years later, to be an art student. Even if it is just for a class or two...I'll take it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool.

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

That's funny because when I was in school, I took journalism and law. I figured I'd grow up to write. I took ONE HS art class. I had no idea I was an artist.

I have two bowls like that, only mine are blue.

teekaroo said...

How fun! I loved my pottery class, but it takes a bit too much patience for me to do well. Have so much fun!

Conny said...

What great finds, Michelle! Rediscovering art seems to be catching here in the blogosphere. It should make for a beautiful 2011. Cheers~

WhiteStone said...

Enjoy!!!! You will love it.

sarah said...

THAT is awesome!! I can't wait to read all about it. You just never know.. you may be selling some beautiful handmade bowls in your Etsy shop in the future! I wish I could join you, it is something I have always wanted to try... and it will make for some great posting. He is the Potter.. we are the clay :)

Mavis said...

I wish I had gone to art school... 1"m jealous that you are taking a pottery class... who knows... maybe you'll make a thing or two for Etsy?

Unknown said...

There's just something so beautiful in simplicity - these bowls are exactly what appeal to me. Somehow the lines, the colors, the form are just pretty and peaceful. And it certainly helps that your artful photography skills enhance them even more! If you like art class in school, just think how it will bless the children you'll teach someday! Have fun in your "REQUIRED" class!

christina said...

i know you will do a wonderful job in your class. and i love that you are an artist now.
xo

Nancy said...

so glad you're getting your chance to be an art student!