Thursday, December 2, 2010

happy chickens.


 For the past several weeks, I've been letting The Girls out to free-range more. It makes them so happy. Is that anthropomorphising? Maybe they're not necessarily happy...but maybe more like content? Whatever it is they're "feeling", it is evident to me when I watch them scratch around the yard digging for bugs and stretching their wings.

Yesterday I let them out in the morning. They don't cause any trouble, but I still like to check on them now and then and make sure they're OK. Yesterday when I peeked out the back door to check on them I found them all lying down on their sides in a little spot of sunshine. The were laying there with their wings spread out in an attempt to soak up some warmth...and Vitamin D! I don't think Vitamin D is on their mind...they just do this naturally. (I didn't get a photo...had I gone out there they'd have come running to see what treats I was bringing them and it would have ruined their "moment". So I just watched from afar..)

Chickens are really funny to watch...and calming. They're so slow and calm and methodical...it's relaxing to just sit and watch them do what they do. I watched them for a bit, sunning themselves, and it made me feel good that I am able to provide them a decent life. To see them "happy" made me happy. And the two eggs I harvested, in spite of this cold, cold weather, made me happy, too! (Still getting at least one egg a day...not bad!)

5 comments:

Elyse said...

I love it! I think they do feel "happy" :) I've always wanted chickens!

Mavis said...

Dear Mrs. Figgy...
They are in fact "happy"... In fact I regularly find our chickens napping on the doormat at our back door.

Anonymous said...

sitting here - I hear mine cackling outside. I should go let them out. Mine sit by the backdoor too - you'd think they were dogs : )

Anonymous said...

I anthropomorphise everything. It's ridiculous.

You have lucky ladies.

Nancy said...

the girls are so cute. i can just see them sunning themselves! what girl doesn't want a little bit of sun-kissed color?!