Thursday, July 8, 2010

so far...

Is it really Thursday already? For real? Wow...this week is just flying by! I don't feel like I've done much. It might be because of that migraine that sneaked its way (snuck its way?) into my life on Tuesday. It ended up taking over Tuesday and part of Wednesday. But...it's finally subsided...mostly...and I'm getting back on track.

The boys will be home Saturday. I miss them. A lot. When we were filling out camp paperwork and deciding which extra activities the boys wanted to do and all that, there was an option for a one-time email communication for an additional $5. I asked the boys if they wanted to do that...or if they just wanted to have a blast and let us know all about it when they got home. Of course, because they're independent boys and love to be away from us (I try not to take this personally and instead believe that we are raising healthy, confident, well-adjusted young men who don't need their mama for every little thing...but it's not working...I should have kicked down the five bucks and threatened them within an inch of their lives if they didn't write to me!!) they opted to just let us know all about it when they get home. Why?! Why didn't I insist?! Either way, I'm sure they're having an amazing time and I can't wait to hear ALL about it...when they get home.

Because of the unexpected migraine (do we ever expect them?) I haven't done the boys' rooms...yet. I plan to do them this afternoon when I get home from work. I want to wash their bedding and gather up the trash. What is it with boys and Slurpee cups and Nerds boxes and candy bar wrappers that they can't manage to get them into the trash can? And what is it with boys that when I say, "Tidy your room, please", said items are left as decor on dresser tops? I don't get it. They say it adds to the whole "man cave" effect. I say, "NO". So, I'm infringing on the man-cave and getting rid of the questionable decor. Ick.

I'm heading to Occidental with my friend tomorrow...we're going to check out the retreat grounds for our churches women's retreat. I'm excited about the retreat. I was involved with the women's retreat for years at my old church...like 8 years to be exact and I learned a lot. I love retreats. And I think this one's gonna be good. The gal I'm working with, my new friend Tiffany, is awesome. She's young and has a heart for God like you wouldn't believe. And when it comes to the retreat...and the women...and our vision for what we want the retreat to be...we see eye to eye in almost every way. And I have to say...this makes the planning so much fun. And so exciting. I can't wait to see how it all turns out! So...tomorrow...road trip! We went on one a few weeks ago to look at a potential retreat location and it was a total bust. The place that is. NOT good. But the road trip was fun...and we found the most darling cafe to eat at...it was called Wren. And I wanted to live there amongst all its shabby, vintage goodness and eat Avocado Gazpacho every day for the rest of my life.

But...in the meantime...today awaits. Laundry. Bathroom. Work. School work. And plans to make a good dinner for two.

6 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I'm certain it's snuck.
Bring, brang, brung.
Sneak, snank, snuck.
Or maybe it's snunk.
lol

Kelly Cook said...

My son was at my parents house for a week and I didn't miss him one bit. Does that make me a bad mom?

I also didn't get even a third of the things done that I had hoped and I tried to keep my plans conservative!

Have fun on the road trip!!

Anonymous said...

I am highly relating to the boys bedroom thing. josh's room is a mess. his definition of clean is not mine! i miss my kids this summer and they are home! they are just getting way to independent for me.

hope you feel better and enjoy your little road trip.

Mari said...

Sorry about your migraine. I can't say I've ever had one. Stress headaches, yes.

Funny about you and the boys. They grow up too fast, don't they?

And, I'll be praying for you on your trip and the upcoming ladies retreat. Just wish I could be part of it with you!!

Much love, dear friend.

xoxo

Nancy said...

well, by now the boys are home and enjoying their clean rooms! hope they had a great time.

how was your road trip?

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA HA!

I posted about purging out the girls rooms while they were away too!!! Finally when they are gone, gone, gone can we get in and purge, purge, purge.

And yes, I waited until the day before they were coming back to really jump in.

Awww, your boys will have so much to say, even if it comes out in drips and drabs.