Saturday, December 12, 2009

photo challenge: self-portrait.

Wow...I have to say, I have a love/hate relationship with this challenge. I do NOT like having my photo taken...especially now that I am a bit overweight and quite a bit more wrinkly! The camera really does tell the truth, doesn't it?
Anyway...because I committed to this challenge. And because it's been so rewarding. And because I have enjoyed meeting other women and getting to know them. And because they did it, (you know...the whole "jumping off a bridge if so and so did" thing...) I went on ahead and tried my hand at taking some photos of myself.
In true "Michelle" form, I waited until the last minute. Because, quite frankly, I was this close to not doing it at all. But yesterday, as I got ready for work, I got out of the shower and thought, "what the heck. just DO it." So...I did. Literally.
Fresh out of the shower...
...through a foggy mirror.
Up close...now dressed...towel still on my head...just me. Wrinkles...er...um...I mean laugh lines and all.
(Man..this is hard. It's going to be real hard to hit "publish post"!)

Looking out the back door...it's rainy and grey and perfect.
My favorite kind of day.
OK...so I had to include this photo because it made me laugh...hard.


It's a horrible photo of me...I know. But I had to share it. It reminds me of a bad yearbook photo...like I'm in love with my camera and had to pose with it. Do you see it? Oh my gosh...it's still cracking me up. I know I should be embarrassed to put this up for the world to see...but hey, if I can't make fun of myself, who CAN I make fun of? Right?
Wait. That didn't come out right.
Anyway....

So this one had to be added, too...as it's the "mom look".



And don't we ALL have one of those? I fear this is what I look like most of the day. Sigh....

And then...finally...hair a bit done, glasses on, a bit of makeup (not much as I don't like it...but I need it...therefore I wear some...dangit),and dressed for work....albeit a bit blurry...

This is me.
Hi. Nice to meet you.
Oh! Wait! I forgot the Bonus Body Part photo!
Hands. My hands. They cook. And create. And clean...sometimes. They comfort. And care for. I should probably take better care of them! And stop biting my nails.
(OK...you can do it...just hit publish. There you go...the orange button...just DO it...press it already! OK...here I go...one...two...three...publish!)

19 comments:

Whitney said...

Ha ha I like you! You're funny and pretty!

Anonymous said...

you are so beautiful. I am so proud of you for being brave. I like you too!

Diane Grenkow said...

: ) You look fabulous, dahling! I don't think that one you think looks like a yearbook picture looks like a yearbook picture at all! I like it. Until you mentioned the towel I thought you had the whitest hair I've seen in a while... : )

Neuroknitter said...

What a beautiful series of images...I really like the composition of the second one.

Hey...Canon love is A-ok!! :)

Magnolia Handspun said...

You go!
Love this post...I think you summed up everything I felt...but isn't it freeing in a way? I think you are beautiful.We don't frown upon wrinkles in Scandinavia(no pun intended) like you do in the US. I love your words accompanying your images... Thank you for sharing and it is nice to meet you Michelle..

Anonymous said...

I love this series on "you". My favorite is the one of you in glasses. What a beautiful smile and gorgeous eyes. I agree "self" shots are the hardest especially when taken by ourselves.

Annie

anmarie said...

You are in good company! We all trembled at the thought of pushing the orange button...but so glad we did. Your photos are lovely, and so are you. We all "clean up" nicely, don't we?!

sarah said...

You know what. This is my favorite post. God is a perfect knitter friend, you are a beautiful person.. your face and your soul. Thank you for sharing both. This is why I like you so!

Susan said...

Michelle, Great work! I'm so glad to know that we are practically neighbors. Now I'll know who to look for!

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I really like your laugh lines. And your smile:-). Thank you for sharing these.

GoPlacesGal said...

I love your self portraits. I felt the same way about posting. I almost didn't do #4. I would rather photograph anything but myself. For me this exercise was about coming to terms with the imperfection of myself- and being okay with that. Wow some assignment! Thanks for sharing your wonderful images.
http://damnhusband.blogspot.com/

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

I LOVE all of your self portraits and you are beautiful!! The picture of you with your camera is great, in a wonderful way. I know, it was so hard to do. What a leap, right!? I'm so glad to have met you through the assignment!


:)Lisa

Connie in Hartwood said...

I wish you could see the huge smile on my face ... your inner conversation made me laugh out loud.

Connie

Nancy said...

Love seeing you in front of the lens. You're beautiful always ~ towel on head, dressed for work, the "mom" look and yes, even the bad yearbook photo!

Wren said...

You make me smile and i swear your eyes can see deep into my soul. I adore the photo of you in your glasses! I think I just may have had those frames myself.. You are beautiful Michelle - inside and out!!

Leroy Parker said...

Michelle,
This is a brilliant, "honest," brave, original take on the self-portrait. It should become a classic for all shy bloggers. In the future I'll link to it when explaining this kind of project, if you keep it in your archives.
What a great way to get to know the beautiful "you." And I didn't see any wrinkles!
Thank you!!!

Kelly said...

Round of applause, we are always too critical on ourselves, I love the smirk you have in the 'true put together you' photo. Oh, and that shade of lipstick was made for you!

Conny said...

Bravo, Michelle!! (Clapping...) You did it. I love all the pictures, but my favorite is of you looking out the window to check the weather. It has a great feel to it.

For all your worry and talk about wrinkles, after looking at all the photos, I've come to this conclusion: that our worry over wrinkles is more important to us than it is to those who see them. (Did that make any sense? Sorry.) You're loved by your readers (and by many more) with or without wrinkles.

Cheers ~ Conny

Anonymous said...

so that second one, the black and white close up has to be my hands down favorite.

i love that you posted yourself right out there for all the world to see. you are a better woman than me. all i see is a fat face when i look at mine.

fantastic job, it's been nice "seeing" everyone for real.