Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wednesday in the Word.

Isaiah 40:11

He tends his flock like a shepherd:

He gathers the lambs in his arms

and carries them close to his heart;

he gently leads those that have young.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last night was Youth Group at our church. My kids hadn't been wanting to do a whole lot of anything church related for quite some time and I was beginning to worry. But instead of freaking out, I just prayed and prayed and "let go and let God", as they say.

Eventually, the boys began to take an interest again. And Youth Group on Tuesday nights became something for them to look forward to...thank you, God. Because the kids are off school this week (weird random week of vacation...school board stuff...whatever) the Youth Group decided to do a fun game night from 7-11pm. I ended staying to help. It was wild. Those kids are crazy. And were definitely having FUN.

About halfway through we went into another room and had some worship time. Worship is a churchy way of saying music...singing praise to God. It's the kids' worship band and they do a really good job. The music was powerful. And the youth leader spoke a message about Jesus. And it was powerful. Then there was an altar call. And at least half a dozen kids went forward to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

I had the amazing opportunity to pray with a young lady and lead her to Christ. She was 17 and as we prayed she broke down in my arms. She was crying so hard she couldn't get her breath and asked if she could go outside for some fresh air. I said sure...but that I wanted to go with her. As we stepped out the back door I told her I just wanted to make sure she was OK. She replied, "Thank you. I'm used to doing everything on my own."

This one little statement spoke volumes. I immediately told her, "Now that you have Jesus in your heart you will never be alone again."

So many times we feel like we are alone. Like nobody understands. Or if people really knew who we were or what we've done or where we've been they would never want to be close with us. But the good news is...with Jesus, we really are never alone again. Never. Really. Sometimes it may feel that way, but I've learned that when I'm feeling alone or like God has left me out in the cold, it's because I am the one that has turned the other way. It's me that's distant. Me that's wandered off. Not Him. His Word says, "Never will I leave, nor forsake you." And when God says NEVER, He MEANS it. His Word is always true. His ways are always good. He is for us, not against us.

At the end of the night this sweet young lady came and asked if she could get my phone number. Of course. No question. We exchanged cell numbers and went on our ways...her going back to her world, and me back to mine. I am so happy that God gave me the opportunity to meet her. Because now, whether she knows it or not, she's got someone praying for her on a regular basis...me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle, you were totally there for a reason. You must still have goosebumps on your skin. God works in strange ways. I'm so glad that young girl found you. That was an awesome story.

Josh has recently started going to youth group and he LOVES it. Tonight is nerd night as a matter of fact.

Unknown said...

My eyes are welling up with tears! This is so good to read! I keep thinking "Her life will never be the same!" And what a blessing for you to be the one to pray with her. It always does my soul good to see God at work - just like you did last night!

Anonymous said...

God has us where He has us....for a reason. SPECIFICALLY to do His work.....

Loves.
R

Nancy said...

There is power in your words. You were exactly where you needed to be at that moment. That girl needed you. How wonderful is that.

A young man (19 or 20) at our church was baptized a couple of weeks ago. He shared his testimony. It took about 3-4 minutes but it was a very powerful sermon. Young people can be such powerful ministers without even knowing it.

You Can Call Me Jane said...

How powerful. I had tears in my eyes, too, as I was reading this. God put you there. He used you for such a time as that. We all need to live with that in mind.

Jan Sullivan said...

My name is Jan Sullivan and I write Christian Fiction for teens. My newest book is called "Never Alone" so your blog came up on my google alert. This girl is reason I write what I do. These are the kinds of students that I wish would read my books. Would you share my books with your students? You can preview them on google books. My website is www.aprilword.com