Friday, July 31, 2009

But does it taste as good as it looks?

I just think eggplants are so pretty...way too pretty to be called eggplant. As a matter of fact, Kelly over at How My Garden Grows did a post the other day about the history of eggplant and it's other common names. Not to mention the many health benefits it provides.
After reading her post I decided that from here on out I will call them aubergine. Isn't that so much prettier? Just rolls off the tongue. Then I don't have to say "my eggplant plant". I feel like I'm stuttering.
So...I planted two aubergine (yes, still in italics, because when I say aubergine I'm saying it with a bit of a French accent...try it...it's fun!) plants knowing full well that I really don't even like aubergine. I love how they look...love the color...I even like the plant with it's somewhat fuzzy leaves. But the vegetable itself? Um...nope. Not so much.
However, since this is the year of experimentation in the garden (who am I kidding? I have a feeling EVERY year will be a "year of experimentation"!) I decided to grow some aubergine and cook them several different ways to see if maybe, just maybe, I might like them. Did I already talk about when the kids were smaller and they didn't like something we'd tell them to try it again because maybe their taste buds had matured since the last time they'd eaten it? Well, I'm hoping that happens with the eggp....erp...I mean, the aubergine. I'm hoping that MY taste buds have matured since the last time I ate it....what? A week ago? It could happen! And if not...then at least I have these gorgeous purple beauties growing in the garden for my neighbor...she happens to LOVE aubergine. And there is nothing quite like being able to share your bounty with others.

5 comments:

thehippiechick said...

I've only been reading your blog for a short time and love it! I don't know if you've talked about ratatouille in your quest to love the purple orb fruit, but it's my favorite way to eat it, and my kids even loved it when they were little- still do now that they are teens.

Anyway, you just stew it with a bunch of other things you probably have growing like zucchini, green beans, onions and tomatoes. It's a great way to use up summer squash too. Just add whatever herbs you have growing. I love it when I can make this with things completely from the garden, but I still don't have enough tomatoes so use canned. Serve over noodles or rice with grated cheese. Yum!

A Friend Across the Miles said...

You're right - saying aubergine instead of eggplant gives it a whole new appreciation, although I'm with you. I don't like to eat it. Aubergine parmesan. Sounds so international. Maybe my taste buds have matured since the last time I've eaten it...

Unknown said...

I'll let you know my thoughts as I have some planted too. It has the purple blooms right now. thanks for your sweet comment this morning. you are so cool and I am so glad we have *met* !!

Anonymous said...

Michelle - Tori is me "dmoms" - oops, Tori was signed in to google.

Kelly said...

So kind of you to mention my little blog, thank-you!!! I agree aubergine just flows off the tongue. It sounds like a color to me, or the name of a gemstone.

Your little fruits are quite pretty, I hope you find a way to enjoy eggplant. Itis not one of my faves, but I have two or three recipes I enjoy occasionally. here is one of them (bruscetta topping):
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=50.