Sunday, August 24, 2008

Plenty.

I borrowed this book from the library a couple of weeks ago. We were going on a family trip to Donner Lake and I thought it would be nice to have some reading material. Well, we were so busy that I never had time to start a book...so I started it when we got home last Tuesday. I've hardly been able to put it down. It's a bit wordy for me...and sometimes I find myself skimming over certain parts. I think that's just my ADD kicking in.
Even with skimming I'm enjoying reading about their efforts in sticking to a 100-mile diet. It sounds a lot easier than it actually is...and makes me realize even more that I am more of a chartreuse color in my effort to be "green". And really, I'm fine with that. I am not trying to be completely green. I'm trying to be more self-sustained. And with that comes a certain level of green living...but I've decided that I'm not going to be fanatical. I'm going to do what I'm comfortable with...what I can afford...what works for my family...what makes me feel like I've done something worthwhile that day. I will continue to use toilet paper and feminine products...I will continue to drive my SUV (until I can afford my beloved Kharman Ghia...and I WILL, someday!)...but even then I'll probably still have my SUV. On the other hand, I will continue to grow my own food and to learn all that I can about growing it, preserving it and doing it again in the years to follow. I will buy local whenever possible. Because unlike the author's of Plenty, I'm not ready to give up flour and sugar. Actually, they weren't necessarily ready for it either! I don't think they realized the magnitude of eating local, either. It's been interesing to read their story...to go on their journey with them...even if, at this point in the story, it is a bit depressing. I keep finding myself comparing this book to Animal, Vegetable, Miracle...which is, quite possibly, my favorite book ever. It really focused on the food and life and how it all related to each other..and it did it in a more positive light.
I have to say, I never thought I'd be interested in reading books about sustainable living...or local eating...or homesteading. Never. This is a total surprise to me. And it all started last year at our annual women's retreat. I was given the scripture on my main page...1 Thessalonians 4:11-12. Me? Lead a quiet life? I am hardly a quiet person! And I thought God would know that the best! But...I tucked it away in my bible and let it sit a while.
Months later I'm researching sustainable living, homesteading, canning, gardening...I'm reading blogs and web sites and books about people taking a more simple approach to life. And I'm loving it...I just didn't really know why. Until one day I'm thumbing through my bible and I happen across that little slip of paper, "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life will win the respect of outsiders...and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I bet you would enjoy, if you haven't read it already, Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.